- Annie LaRussa:22 Sep. 2020“ ROMEO AND JULIET is a play close to my heart. In LADY CAPULET, Melissa Bell imagines the world that created R and J, centered around Juliet's mother. Melissa imagines for us - Why the feud? Why is Lady C so invested in Tybalt ? Why is Lady C so cold to her daughter? It is smart and captivating with the huge added bonus of a complicated female lead!!! What more could one ask for??? ”
- Donna Hoke:21 Sep. 2020“ Full disclosure: I am not a Shakespeare fan but I was RIVETED by a reading of this play (and another full disclosure: I was ten minutes late to it and worried I wouldn't be able to get into it), but it was so amazing, I got sucked right in. Okay, that was my reaction! But the writing is incredible, a brilliant prequel to Romeo and Juliet that has contemporary resonance, a kickass female lead, and that adds layers to the story we all know so well. Out of words but !!!!!!!!!!!!!!. ”
- Suzanne Willett:8 Sep. 2019“ Bell does a wonderful job of creating the origin story for R&J. Her use of strategy, subterfuge and deceptions are a marvelous homage to Shakespearean tragedy. Rose is a fully realized character struggling to make the most out of her limited options, a struggle that still resonates with women today. Kudos to Bell for taking Shakepeare into the present! ”
- Rose14-30,,AnywomanAge range: on the cusp of 14 years old, from the country, fresh, eager to please, with budding sexuality, to a 30-year-old Lady of Verona.
- The Nurse30-45,,AnyFemaleProper where Rose and the family are concerned but possesses a bawdy nature of her own.
- Montague24-38,,AnyMaleHe is handsome and makes light of the world.
This actor doubles as TYBALT.
- Lucio24-38,,AnyMaleRose’s loyal older brother; marries the Prince's cousin Helena.
- Capulet30-46,,AnyMaleFormal, sullen, controlled.
- ,Reading,Norwalk Public Library Virtual Performance2021
- ,Reading,CreateTheater Virtual Space2020
- ,Reading,Turn To Flesh Productions Fifth Annual Staged Reading2018
- ,Reading,29th Street Playwrights Collective New Works Series2017
- ,Professional,Barefoot Shakespeare Company2019
Henley Rose Playwright Competition for Women