On Every Link a Heart Does Dangle; or, Owed
- Timothy Thompson:17 Feb. 2019“ 'Owed' is epic in structure and has a way of both adhering to and playfully deviating from the hero's journey and the Greek tragedy structure. The dialogue, for me, is so very exciting, poetic, active, and captivating. The characters in this play (most of them women) are complex power-houses! I cannot wait to see where this play goes next! ”
- Mellie18-early 20s,FemaleLate teens-early 20s, shy but precocious, severely disabled by a birth defect, and a boat builder with visions both imaginative and prophetic.
Must be cast with an actor who identifies as having a disability.
- AgaEarly-mid 20s,FemaleCasta’s secretary and Mellie’s older sister, though she’s not allowed to acknowledge the relationship.
- CastaLate 30s-early 40s,FemaleLate 30s-early 40s, the First Lady of Thebes, married to Ode.
- KreeMid 40s,FemaleThe Defender of Thebes, older sister to Casta, advisor to Ode, a warrior trying to thrive in peacetime.
- Zebulon30s,MaleA golden young man, looks early 30s, feels much older.
- Chorus Leader50s-70s,appears femaleAlso plays TARE, 60s, blind, wise, some say a seer, shunned by the town; THEBAN ELDER; THE MONSTER; THE RIVER
- Chorus 1Younger than Chorus 2,FemaleAlso plays YOUNG THEBAN; MESS, a mysterious young woman with a message to deliver.
- Chorus 2Older than Chorus 1,FemaleAlso plays, ORA, late 40s, the mouthpiece of the gods, kidnapped and held captive by Missourian Mud-worshippers; NURSE .
- Chorus 3MaleAlso plays THE VIGILANT; ECK, early 20s, Aga’s boyfriend; PRIEST; HERD, elderly finder of lost animals
- ,Reading,The Lark2019
- ,Workshop,The Lark2019
- ,Reading,The Playwrights Center2018
- ,Workshop,NNPN/Kennedy Center MFA Playwrights Workshop2018
- , ,Workshop2018