alex getting better
- Shaun Leisher:17 Jun. 2020“ This is a play for the #metoo era unlike any other play I've ever read about this time in history. It's important that we never know the details of what happened to these women in middle school. We don't need to know the details. We just need to know a male student did something awful to them and they are all still dealing with it in their own ways. I hope people will produce this play and not focus on what the man does and try judge it's severity but just believe women and give them the help they need. ”
- Rachael Powles:16 May. 2020“ I saw alex getting better in performance over a year ago and I've been thinking about it ever since. As we battle through this new era of recognizing sexual abuse in all forms, it is easy to forget the smaller stories. We read the headlines and the trending hashtags, but we don’t see the young girls sitting in circles at slumber parties wondering if what they felt was wrong. This play reminds us that what feels like the most insignificant battles can be the noblest and that only the long road to getting better, every victory counts. ”
- Brad Dell:2 Mar. 2020“ An intense, "me too" era drama, sizzling with complexity and nuance. A perfect play for high school or college performers. It really delves into the many ways that victims remember and deal with their trauma. So grateful to be including this in Iowa State University's Student Directed One Act Festival! ”
- Alex18+ to play 19,,Any race / ethnicityFemale-identifying19, female-identifying, any ethnicity, anxious and confused but trying to figure things out.
- Jennie18+ to play 19,,Any race / ethnicityFemale-identifying19, female-identifying, any ethnicity, one of Alex's close friends from middle school, she has EVERYTHING together and she is OKAY.
- Ruthie18+ to play 19,,Any race / ethnicityFemale-identifying19, female-identifying, any ethnicity, Alex's best friend, she's not sure where she is or where she's going.
- Hallie18+ to play 19,,Any race / ethnicityFemale-identifying19, female-identifying, any ethnicity, one of Alex's close friends from middle school, she is ACTUALLY okay.
- JordanEarly 30s,,Any race / ethnicityFemale-identifyingEarly 30s, female-identifying, any ethnicity, Alex's therapist.
- ,University,Iowa State University Theatre (cancelled due to COVID-19)2020
- ,University,independent student production at Ithaca College (dir. Carin Jennie Estey)2018