A Spirited Manor - A Penny Dreadful
- Daniel Prillaman:29 May. 2020“ A spooky, funny, non-stop ride of a penny dreadful!! Danley has written not only an expansive and FUN cast of characters, but she fits them into an enticing, well-paced mystery with genuinely surprising twists and turns. Furthermore, it’s rare to read a play with so much adventure in its stage directions. I cannot emphasize enough the endless possibilities for design this play has. You could stage it in hundreds of different ways. And I would be in the audience for each one. ”
- Scott Stolnack:27 Jan. 2020“ A SPIRITED MANOR is a smart, spooky Victorian thriller with a bunch of great character roles and a wonderfully imaginative approach to staging. Part whodunnit, part romance, part Gothic horror, just as you start to get comfortable all the pieces rearrange and the plot takes you in another unexpected direction. Lots of shivers and lots of fun! ”
- John Bavoso:5 Jan. 2020“ With A SPIRITED MANOR, Danley has created an exemplary addition to a familiar and beloved genre, but with a feminist twist. Infused with horror, humor, and melodrama, what’s really exciting about this script is the unique staging and opportunities for innovative and adventurous design it presents. Perfect for a theatre company looking for a larger-cast production, this play would surely be a hit in October or any time of the year! ”
- Clara O'Hare20s - 30s,,AnyFemaleA young widow
- Thomas O'Hare20s - 30s,,AnyMaleClara's late husband, a ghost. Can be doubled with the role of Wesley Lowenherz
- Wesley Lowenherz20s - 30s,,AnyMaleA dashing medium. Can be double cast with Thomas O'Hare.
- Minnie Lowenherzteen+,,AnyFemaleWesley's late sister, now a ghost. Was a servant. Mentioned as Irish in the script, but can be changed to suit casting. Can be doubled with Woman #5
- Marguerite Matson20 - 40,,AnyFemaleheadstrong, spirited, modern woman for the age. Can be doubled with Woman #6
- Norman Scettico20 - 40,,AnyMaleA stiff scientist. Can be doubled with "Cab Driver" and "Man #1"
- Lord Horace Oroberg50+,,AnyMaleA blustering hunter. Teddy Roosevelt type. Can be double cast with Man #3
- Clifford Oroberg20 - 40,,AnyMaleLord Oroberg's son. A cad, coward, and scoundrel. Engaged to Violet Nero. Can be doubled with "Man #2" and "MC".
- Violet Nero18+,,AnyFemaleA frail young lady with a French upbringing. Engaged to Clifford Oroberg. Can be doubled with Woman #4
- Hilda Nero50+,,AnyFemaleViolet's overbearing mother; Can be double cast with Mrs. Nan
- Mrs. Nan50+,,AnyFemaleClara's housekeeper; can be double cast with Hilda Nero
- Mr. Edgar40+,,AnyMaleClara's butler; can be double cast with Gilbert
- Gilbert40+,,AnyMaleHorace's butler; can be double cast with Mr. Edgar
- Man #1 / Cab Driver20+,,AnyMaleGhost chorus, can be doubled with Norman Scettico
- Man #2 / MC20+,,AnyMaleGhost chorus; can be double cast with Clifford Oroberg
- Man #320+,,AnyMaleGhost chorus; can be double cast with Lord Horace Oroberg
- Woman #4Any,,AnyFemaleGhost chorus. Can be double cast with Violet Nero
- Woman #5Any,,AnyFemaleGhost chorus. Can be double cast with Minnie Lowenherz.
- Woman #6Any,,AnyFemaleGhost chorus. Can be double cast with Marguerite Matson.