Seneca and the Soul of Nero (Full-length play)
- Elisabeth Giffin Speckman:16 Nov. 2021“ I was able to stream Southbank Theatre Company's production of this play recently, and what a history lesson! Recent politics are hauntingly reminiscent of the Ancient Rome depicted here, and the cast of characters encompass a spectrum of youthful, full of promise and hopeful individuals to devastated, deteriorating, and downright grotesque. I found myself particularly fascinated by the female characters on the margins of this history, and their scenes from the work have stayed with me longest. ”
- Julie Zaffarano:4 Nov. 2021“ “Seneca and the Soul of Nero” brings historical persons to a vivid and human level. Ambition, lust, fear, and greed are set against the desire for honor and truth. The struggles are painfully real. The ending is as surprising as it is beautiful. ”
- Donald E. Baker:22 Sep. 2021“ This is a brilliant contemporary political satire cleverly disguised as a Shakespearesque history play. Nero is portrayed as a raging egomaniac surrounded by sycophants seeking either to curtail or to profit from his excesses. Sound vaguely familiar? There are no exact parallels to recent events but there are many echoes, some faint, others blaring: "I am untouchable. I could cut throats in the street and no one would arraign me." Well done! ”
- Seneca50-60Tutor and then advisor to Nero. Stoic philosopher. Wealthy. Married to Pompeia Paulina. Uncle of Lucan. (Doubles with Thyestes -- character in a play)
- Nero20-30Son of Agrippina and adopted son of Claudius. Becomes emperor as a teenager.
- Pompeia Paulina35-45Pompeia Paulina (aka Poppy), Seneca's wife and best friend.
- Agrippina35-45Mother of Nero. (Double Medea with Agrippina)
- Octavia18-30Wife and adopted sister of Nero.
- Sabina20s-30sSecond wife to Nero. (Doubles as Nurse in Medea and Ambassador 2)
- Burrus45-55Co-advisor with Seneca to Nero.
In charge of the Praetorian guard.
- Britannicus14-18Step-brother of Nero. Should be played by a younger looking adult.
- Lucan20-30Nephew of Seneca, poet of the court.
- Guard(Doubles with Britannicus)
- Ambassador 2Can double with Sabina
- Ambassador 1(Can double with Lucan)
- Actor playing Tantalus15-20Double with Britannicus
- Actor playing Nurse in Medea(Can double with Sabina)
- Actor playing Medea35-40wife of Jason and killer of her own children in Seneca's play Medea (Double with Agrippina)
- Actor playing Jason20s-30s(Double with Britannicus)
- Actor playing CreonActor playing King in Seneca's Medea. (Can double with Lucan)
- Claudiainfantinfant, best to use a doll.
- ,Reading,Indiana Playwrights Circle2020
- ,Community Theater,Southbank Theatre Company2021
Screencraft Stage Play Contest