A Skin of Veils
- Lizz Mangan:12 Apr. 2021“ Keeping the poetry prevalent in all of Emma's work, this play takes on a subject and world which doesn't always receive the attention deserved. Showcasing how war weaponizes women's bodies, Emma shows violence and love in the form of a woman who is finding herself within the context of a world torn. ”
- Shaun Leisher:8 May. 2020“ The time and place of this play is purposely ambiguous because it’s a story that can happen anywhere at any time. It’s a play about men and women that goes back even before biblical times. It’s about cycles of horror and what it will take to break them. These characters are beautifully written and ones that we need to see on stage today. This play doesn’t shy away from the torture women go through so you shouldn’t look away either. Face the horrors and work to end them. ”
- Miriamyoung,,AnyFemaleyoung, the “ideal woman”, underneath passion-heart, guts & blood that hits the surface, a beautiful voice
- Neighboryoung,,AnyMaleyoung, a man, a poet most likely, strong and dirty and lovely hands
- Joeold,,AnyMaleold, a gentleman, a scholar, a rebel
- Motherolder, but a bit younger than Joe,,AnyFemaleshe’s rigid and silk
*Mother & Father are played by the same actor. Slight differentiation between their appearance. The actor must identify as a woman.
- Fatherolder, but a bit younger than Joe,,AnyMalefrightened but tries to hide it, jaw always clenched
*mother and father are played by the same actor. slight differentiations between their appearance. the actor most identify as a woman.
- Pantherany,,AnyMalethe head soldier, biggest baddest of the bunch, a bull full of hate and hurt
- Wounded SoldierYoung,,AnyMalea man caught in a cycle, we try not to feel pity for him
- Lizolder, but not as old as Mother,,AnyFemalea city of a woman, full of life, antiquity, talks fast.
*Liz & Woman are played by the same actor
- WomanSame age as Liz,,AnyFemale*Liz and Woman are played by the same actor.
- Ensemble/SoldiersAny,,AnyMale, if played by actors*The Soldiers as an ensemble can be puppets, objects, weapons, shadows, voices in the dark. I don’t see the need for actual human performers other than Panther & The Wounded Soldier. Fill the space with more horrifying echoes of them. But, they could be actors.