The Sugar Ridge Rag
- Jarred Corona:9 May. 2021“ I grew up near Bowling Green. A different one, one in Kentucky, but as someone in love with music and with a twin of my own (only, she was born 1.5 years too early), does the different time and place matter, or can this still qualify as a show somehow... written about me? I don't know. Maybe it's because of that, or maybe it's because of the gorgeous writing and dynamic characters, or maybe the hard hitting monologues, but all I can really say in my recommendation here is... Music paints time. This play is music. ”
- David Hansen:24 Apr. 2021“ What is unique is this piece is that it is not a Vietnam era tragedy in which the father is a bellicose, authoritarian bigot or the mother a homophobic shrew. They are accepting, if not immediately, then easily. Their love of their children is more important than societal pressure or their own generational impulses. No, the conflict is between the brothers and their separation. This play is a picture of how this war, which tore apart a nation, failed to tear apart one family, which is an uplifting tale to hear, and I highly recommend it. ”
- Craig Houk:7 Apr. 2021“ A tightly designed, beautifully executed play. The characters, the dialogue and the story are sublime. Philip Middleton Williams is a master at realism; channeling O'Neill, Miller, & Williams among others, but he makes it his own; bringing a freshness to the genre and, in many ways, transforming it. At the center of this gorgeous piece is a close-knit, loving and progressive family - likely very unique for that time period. While these people are flawed and hurting, their focus is not on the resentment that keeps creeping up, but rather on healing and coming back together. I am absolutely devastated. ”
- PETE GRANGER17,GayWell-built; headstrong.
- DAVE GRANGER17,MalePete’s identical twin. Muscular, determined.
- DEB GRANGERLate 30's,FemaleTheir mother. Pragmatic and protective.
- HAL GRANGERLate 30's,MaleTheir father. Stoic, but not invincible.
Strong Male Lead
Southwest Theatre Productions, Austin, TX