Chasing The Ghost
- Jack Crory:13 Mar. 2020“ This play is dark, funny, and profoundly feminist. I was drawn in by the connections the play makes between the supernatural, online gamer culture, podcasts, and young adult lit, all tied to the story of a troubled marriage. This could be staged simply but also open up possibilities for use of recorded video. Highly highly recommend. ”
- Gina Femia:30 Jul. 2019“ I cannot recommend this piece enough, I love how Ashley has created a horror story where the true horror is within the flaws of our humanity. It speaks to the world we live in now and does so with wit, empathy and extreme humor. I'm hoping to see this piece produced very soon and encourage all to support this play. ”
- David Charles:8 Sep. 2018“ Chasing The Ghost explores online fandom communities, and examines the toxic elements that exist within them. This play masterfully tackles a difficult but important topic, while containing moments of compassion, kindness, and humor. I highly recommend this piece! ”
- KURTLate-Twenties-Early/mid-thirties,,WhiteCisgender MaleA former web-series creator called the Enraged Gamer Geek, in the early days of Youtube. After a few years he decided he wanted to stop leaving a small but vocal and ravenous fan-base on the internet.
(NOTE for the first production KURT MUST be played by a cisgender white man. After it’s premiere, casting can be more flexible but a note must be put in the program stating the playwright’s initial intent to talk about Straight, cis, het, white supremacy and how it can be prominent in internet culture on the internet).
- PATTYLate Twenties-Early/Mid-thirties,Female (Trans or cis)KURT’s wife, a writer of paranormal young adult books. She has a tendency to offer too much information to strangers when she’s upset or thrown off her guard. Open to a wide variety of ghost stories and affirming of them however she has her hard limits on what she’ll put up with and won’t.
- SPECTRE/PERSONLate Teens-Early/Mid-thirties.,,BIPOCFemale (Trans or cis)The shadow which may or may not be tickling Kurt's feet at night.
- STEPHFemale (Trans or cis)Main host on the Podcast “Darkness Calls,” where she and her co-host Andrea interview experts and experiencers of the paranormal. She is welcoming and inquisitive, almost like if Rachel Maddow were to focus on spooky topics.
- ANDREAFemale (Trans or cis)Co-host of “Darkness Calls.” Andrea is a little bit more of the every-woman type. A little bit more scared and put off by the stories but equally as fascinated as Steph. She is also a little bit more comedic, but she knows when to step back. She and Steph have gotten their chemistry down to a T.
- POLICESimilar age to Kurt, maybe a bit younger,Male (Trans or cis)Policeman called to investigate the breaking and entering of Kurt and Patty’s home. He is quirky as well, just trying to do his job, but is and has been an avid gamer. He used to watch Kurt’s old youtube channel.
- DR. FALGUTWe’re never quite clear on what Dr. Falgut is a doctor of but we know that at least in Falgut’s free time they are very passionate about talking to, and finding proof of, extraterrestrial life.
- PROFESSOR ADICIAdici is a theoretical physicist. A primary focus of their study is the Many-Worlds Interpretation, and the concept of parallel realities. While Adici’s topic may seem absurd they are very serious about it and often forgets what information they might need to break down for non-theoretical physicists. Adici is still charming, just sometimes it’s hard to figure out what people like them don’t know.
- FATHER WAEGNERMale (Cis or Trans)A priest, one who is very interested in the study of demonology. He does often have to remind people that, no being a priest does not make you a demonologist, nor does admitting the existence of demons mean all claims of demonic experience are real. He’s kind of a cool Priest.
- ,Reading,Forge Theatre Lab2019
- ,Workshop,Forge Theatre Lab2019
- ,Reading,Judson Arts Wednesdays Magic Time2017
- ,Reading,Lather Rinse Repeat2017
- ,Professional,The Forge Theatre Lab December2019